The incumbent of this position will serve as a recognized expert and Professor of Practice (Government Financial Management and Leadership) at the Information Resources Management College, Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Academy, contributing knowledge, expertise and experience in government financial management and leadership.
The IRMC serves as the Department of Defense's (DoD's) principal educational resource for the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and his senior staffs. As part of this mission and in support of JPME programs, IRMC is responsible for Cybersecurity, Cyberstrategy and Information Technology (IT) graduate education focused on the needs of strategic leaders
National Defense University (NDU) supports the joint warfighter by providing rigorous Joint Professional Military Education to members of the U.S. Armed Forces and select others in order to develop leaders who have the ability to operate and creatively think in an unpredictable and complex world.
This is a Title 10 Excepted Service Appointment. Appointment is not to exceed 3 years with the possibility for extension.Learn more about this agency
The Professor of Practice (Government Financial Management and Leadership) primary duties are to support the NDU and IRMC missions by:
- -Preparing curriculum and instructional materials and delivers instruction face-to-face and on-line.
- -Participating in the planning and development of courses of study for NDU-IRMC educational programs, with emphasis on the CFO Program.
- -Making recommendations on course topics and contents, instructional methods, and other aspects of the educational programs.
- -Serving as research advisor to individual students on topics related to national security.
- -Conducting studies, prepare papers, and gives presentations in relevant areas of government financial management and leadership.
- -Leading and participating in collaborative relationships as a member of NDU and the IRMC faculty to ensure the accomplishment of University and program missions.
Occasional travel - This position requires the employee to occasionally travel from the normal duty station.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be US Citizen
Background or Security Investigation: This is a Critical Sensitive position which requires a background investigation. The individual selected for this position is required to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance to occupy a Critical Sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment.
To qualify for this position, you must:
-Have an earned master's degree in government financial management or equivalent terminal degree from a regionally accredited university, and/or senior professional experience in financial management or related discipline.
-Experience in and expert knowledge of government financial management, in such areas as strategic planning, leadership, and oversight of federal agency budgeting and financial operations; development and maintenance of integrated financial and accounting management systems, including financial reporting, audit management, and internal controls; and, monitoring agency financial performance.
-Demonstrated experience in developing and teaching in graduate-level courses in relevant areas of government financial management and leadership in military and government organizations globally.
-Demonstrated experience in scholarly activities and consulting in relevant areas of government financial management and leadership in military and government settings globally, as demonstrated by presentations and publications, and consulting.
-Experience interacting with high-level Government and private sector officials. Demonstrated ability to interact with highest-level government professionals, senior military officers, executives and leaders in the US and other countries.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR ACADEMIC RANK
Applicants for the position at the Associate Professor of Practice level must possess an earned master's degree (a doctorate or other terminal degree preferred) with an academic specialty related to government financial management; with at least seven years of significant professional or academic experience in a related field, and significant service/outreach to the university or college, and an exemplary record of scholarship/research.
Applicants for the position at the Professor of Practice level must possess an earned master's degree or equivalent terminal professional degree with an academic specialty related to government financial management; with at least ten years of significant professional experience or academic experience in a related field, significant service/outreach to the university or college, and an exemplary record of scholarship/research.
Associate Professor of Practice, AD-0301-03: $110,595 - 145,629
Professor of Practice, AD-0301-04: $130,692 - $155,844
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills, and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Initial Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an initial probationary period of 18 months.
Reemployed Annuitants: Department of Defense has the authority to hire annuitants without reduction in pay. For more information, go to: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf
Associate Professor of Practice, AD-0301-03: $110,595 - 145,629
Professor of Practice, AD-0301-04: $130,692 - $155,844
How You Will Be Evaluated
A screening panel will review your resume and narrative answers to the assessment questions to evaluate your qualifications for the position. NDU uses a multi-tier selection process for academic positions.
The Assessment Questionnaire collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Government Financial Management
- Teaching and Curriculum Development
Background checks and security clearance
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Résumé: The latest resume submitted will be used to determine qualifications. Complete Assessment Questionnaire Other Supporting Documents
If applicable, the following supporting documents must be received by the closing date of the announcement.
- SF-50: Current or former federal employees must submit a Notification of Personnel Action. If you claim Veteran's Preference, (5 or 10 points) you MUST provide a copy of your DD Form 214 (Member Copy 4) listing the dates of military service and rank. If you are claiming 10 points (10 percent or more disability), you must also provide a letter from the Veterans Affairs Office and a completed SF-15 (Application for 10-point Veterans Preference -
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by the closing date of the announcement at 11:59 EST, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
You MUST submit a copy of your transcript if you want to substitute your education for experience. If you claim qualifications based on education, and do not submit a transcript, your education will not be used in making a qualification determination and you may be found "not qualified".
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
NDU has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. NDU employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, three onsite fitness facilities, and the opportunity to telecommute. To find out more, go to https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
Click Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
3. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following Vacancy ID 1905525. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
You are highly encouraged to establish a USAJOBS account and submit your application package online so that you can receive status updates. If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the assessment questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire
2. Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the assessment questionnaire https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
- In Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire, you may notice that the numbering restarts with number one. When entering your responses on the 1203-FX form please continue to enter your responses on the next available number within this section. The numbers on the 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire once it restarts with number one. This issue has been identified and will be resolved as soon as possible.
- When completing the 1203-FX, be sure to select only one response for each question. Selecting more than one response for a question may result in your application package being rated ineligible.
Agency contact information
William E. Sass
Defense Finance and Accounting Service
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The questionnaire will assess your qualifications for the job, and will be used to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to drive status updates notification for applicants. You can elect to activate the proactive notification from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process to sign-up for automatic alerts when there are status changes for jobs to which you have applied.
It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a Case-by-Case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/463427000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.