About the Agency
NOTE: This is a continuously open vacancy announcement for 90 days with the first cut-off date of January 13, 2017. Other cut-off days are as follows: February 13, 2017; March 13, 2017; April 13, 2017; May 12, 2017; and thereafter. Initially, the first 75 applicants who submit a complete application package for the position will be reviewed for referral to the hiring manager. Additional candidates, if needed, will be reviewed/referred. This announcement will remain open until the closing data indicated. Pathway participants must live or attend school in the area of consideration above. However, applications must be accepted from veterans outside of the area of consideration.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
The Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE) seeks a dynamic and energetic student to join its team and gain valuable work experience as a Student Trainee (Mine Map Repository Technician) in Green Tree, PA.
The purpose of the Pathways Student Intern Program is to provide interns with exposure to public service, enhance educational experience and provide financial support to encourage and support educational goals. The program is formally structured to give interns the opportunity to work in positions related to their academic/career goals. Participants will complete assigned duties, tasks, readings and developmental activities as specified in the program. Selectee is on a trial period while on a Pathway Internship appointment. Students will work full-time in the summer. Students are normally placed into a non-pay status when they return to school each fall, then returned to work the following summer. This is a temporary, excepted service appointment under the Pathways Intern Program that is expected not-to-exceed one (1) year. This appointment may be extended until the selectee's educational program requirements have been completed. After successful completion of the program requirements, the individual may, at agency discretion, be converted to the Competitive Service. Conversion is not guaranteed and is based on the need of the agency. For more information on the Pathways Program, please visit: http://www.opm.gov/HiringReform/Pathways/. For a list of accredited institutions, please visit: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
As an Intern, you will:
- Assist scientific and program specialists within the Program Assistance Division (PAD) in carrying out National Mine Map Repository (NMMR) related assignments to include: facilitating customer service, map collection and delivery, postal and electronic communications and digital media duplication.
- Proficient in operating the full range of Microsoft Office Suite applications including: Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and Internet Explorer; scanners, storage devices, conversion products and related software for the creation, editing and maintenance of NMMR archives.
- Utilize state-of-the art scanner and software to improve the image quality and resolution of original hard copies of mine maps. Prepares maps for scanning on large format table scanners and maintains a sequential document numbering system for map identification and retrieval.
- Inventory microfilm archives and enters mine map data to complete the NMMR database on map location, mine name, age, location, etc.
- View and print maps from film through the utilization of card readers, printers and other optical equipment and generates map prints to facilitate senior staff, OSM and public requests; collaborates with technical or program staff in preparation for map publication on NMMR website.