This position is located in the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of the Commissioner (OC), in Silver Spring, MD.
Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified persons, including non-citizens and Public Health Service Commissioned Officers. No previous federal experience is required. This is an Excepted Service position under Title 42. This appointment does not confer any entitlement to a position in the competitive service and no entitlement to Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) appeal rights.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Conditions of Employment:
Ethics Requirements: This position is subject to strict prohibited financial interest regulations which could restrict the type of financial interest (stock holdings) for the employee, the spouse, and minor children of the employee. Selectee for this position will be required to file a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 278) and obtain clearance from the FDA Division of Ethics and Integrity before a final offer can be made. For additional information on the prohibited financial interests, please visit the FDA Ethics and Integrity Office website at http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WorkingatFDA/Ethics/default.htm.
Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security investigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants also are advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
Learn more about this agency
The Chief Scientist provides advice and counsel to the Commissioner on FDA science, innovation, and capacity in research to meet FDA's regulatory mission and public health needs.
The Chief Scientist carries out the following responsibilities:
-Provides executive and scientific leadership for FDA's cross-cutting scientific research and related policies, programs and initiatives;
-Acts on behalf of the Commissioner to provide executive leadership, guidance, and oversight of assigned programs, including direct line authority over the National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR); the Office of Counterterrorism and Emerging Threats; the Office of Regulatory Science and Innovation; the Office of Scientific Integrity; the Office of Scientific Professional Development; and the Office of Health Informatics and assists the Commissioner by providing general oversight of and informal direction to the Office of Women's Health and the Office of Minority Health;
-Facilitates scientific communication and cooperation at all levels, including among Centers and Offices, and nurtures interaction with the external scientific community to ensure the optimal use of available resources and tools to advance FDA's mission;
-Supports the Centers in creating nimble, responsive, high quality scientific research organizations that consistently bring the best science to bear on FDA decision-making;
-Provides management and support services to the Science Board to the FDA;
-Represents the Commissioner as circumstances dictate, serving as the principal FDA spokesperson and liaison on major initiatives and activities with the Office of the Secretary, other Departments and Agencies, the White House, Members of Congress, Federal, state, and local governments, scientific and academic communities, public health organizations, and foreign governments and international organizations; and
-Provides oversight of the development and implementation of strategies, plans, policies, and budgets to build and improve FDA's regulatory and scientific capacities, systems, and programs, including:
o Developing the FDA Science and Research Plan for determining, prioritizing, and accomplishing the research needs of FDA;
o Developing and advocating for a budget to support intramural research;
o Tracking and, as appropriate, coordinating intramural research awards made by each Center or science-based office within the Office of the Commissioner;
o Providing executive and scientific leadership in the development of agency fellowship programs;
o Facilitating and supporting training and skills improvement of the existing scientific workforce at FDA;
o Building capacity and expertise in the quantitative disciplines (e.g., data science, biostatistics, informatics) and other scientific disciplines across FDA;
o Developing and managing cross-cutting workgroups and cross-cutting extramural programs to advance FDA's science agenda and knowledge base; and
o Ensuring that there is no duplication of research efforts supported by the ReaganUdall Foundation for the FDA.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All groups of qualified individuals
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Conditions Of Employment
- Background and/or Security Investigation is required.
- Public filer financial disclosure statement required.
- Outside activity restrictions apply.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
To qualify for this position in the Biological Science Series, 0401, General Health Science Series, 0601, Medical Officer Series, 0602, or Computer Science Series, 1550, you must meet the below requirements. Your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR TITLE 42(f) APPOINTMENT:
At a minimum, all candidates must possess a doctoral-level degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, including: Ph.D., M.D., D.V.M., D.D.S., D.M.D., Sc.D., or other research doctoral-degree widely recognized in U.S. academe as equivalent to a Ph.D. to be appointed under a Title 42(f) appointment.
In addition, to the Minimum Qualification Requirements for appointment under Title 42, you must also meet the Basic Qualification Requirements and FDA Technical Qualifications stated below.
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT(S):
For 0401, Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position OR Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
For 0601, Degree: major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
For 0602, Degree: Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. [A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).]
For 1550, Degree:computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
In order to satisfy all of the specified requirements, you must address the Mandatory Technical, Mandatory Managerial/Executive , and Desirable Qualifications below within the assessment questionnaire.
Mandatory Technical Qualifications:
1. Extensive knowledge of scientific, clinical, and public health research, with a strong record of peer-reviewed original and applied research.
Mandatory Managerial/Executive Qualifications:
1. Ability to meet customer expectations.
2. Ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
3. Ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
1. Experience leading a significant scientific organization within government, industry, or academia.
2. Extensive knowledge in the development and manufacturing of drugs, devices, biologics, food, veterinary products, and/or tobacco products.
3. Familiarity with the application of FDA laws and regulations.
4. Broad familiarity with diverse, cutting-edge scientific technologies used in FDA regulatory science labs.
5. Training, professional development, and outside activities that provide evidence of initiative, resourcefulness, and potential for effective job performance, such as invitations, presentations, and international activities.
6. Receipt of honors, awards, or other recognition for performance or contributions based on managerial excellence;
Candidates must show clear evidence of specialized experience.Specialized experience is that which is directly related to the position and which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
How You Will Be Evaluated
How You Will Be Evaluated:
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements as outlined above to be eligible for further consideration. You must provide detailed evidence of the experience, knowledge, skill, ability, and other personal characteristic requirements and show how and when they were used. This evidence must include clear, concise examples that show level of accomplishment and degree of responsibility. Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Ethics Requirements: This position is subject to strict prohibited financial interest regulations which could restrict the type of financial interest (stock holdings) for the employee, the spouse, and minor children of the employee. Selectee for this position will be required to file a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 278) and obtain clearance from the FDA Division of Ethics and Integrity before a final offer can be made. For additional information on the prohibited financial interests, please visit the FDA Ethics and Integrity Office website at http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WorkingatFDA/Ethics/default.htm.
4. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
5. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
6. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
7. One-year probationary period may be required.
8. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses may be paid.
9. Bargaining Unit Position: No
10. Drug Screening Required: No
11. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: Yes
Background checks and security clearance
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1784588.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Thursday, September 29, 2016 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
4. This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the ERIC HelpDesk at 866-807-ERIC (3742); TTY/TDD: (800) 877-8339; or by email email@example.com. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ei/benefits.asp#icc.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Thursday, September 29, 2016 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
AddressHHS FDA Center Executive Resources
10903 New Hampshire Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20993
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. When the vacancy announcement closes, an evaluation of your qualifications will be determined by a panel of experts. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview.
You will receive notice via email, or by mail if no email address was provided by you during the application process, once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/448521100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.