About the Organization:
The U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) is one of the most diverse engineering and scientific research organizations in the world. Provides high quality, responsive engineering and environmental research and development support to the Army and Nation.
As part of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers team, ERDC develops innovative science and technology solutions to support warfighting, infrastructure, environmental, water resources, and disaster operations. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.erdc.usace.army.mil.
The crown jewel of the Upper Connecticut River Valley, Hanover has been called by Money Magazine the number one town in the East among "smaller places that offered the best combination of economic opportunity, good schools, safe streets, things to do and a real sense of community." For additional information about the Hanover area, please visit the Hanover Chamber of Commerce website at http://hanoverchamber.org/
The ERDC-Hanover, NH site is currently undergoing a remedial investigation of trichloroethylene (formerly used as a refrigerant) that was released into the environment. Interim actions are underway to monitor and mitigate trichloroethylene vapors of indoor air to ensure a safe work environment. For additional information please review the Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missions/ProjectsTopics/CRRELEnvironmentalRestorationProgram.aspx
Who May Apply:
- All U.S. Citizens and Nationals with allegiance to the United States
- Eligible due to Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP)
In this interdisciplinary research position, you will serve as a researcher in the areas of radio wave propagation, radio frequency physics and coupled antennae and local terrain behavior (e.g., dielectric properties, conductivity, improvised ground planes, etc.). You will develop geospatially aware radio frequency propagation models and integrate them with military programs of interest in the modeling of signal propagation and sensing phenomenology (e.g., Camouflage, Concealment and Deception). You will apply professional programming knowledge and experience to complex software development that allows the military to understand radio frequency propagation in battlespace, perform background research on related topics, prepare written summaries and reports, prepare and orate visual presentations, and conduct a broad range of material and signals analyses using relevant laboratory equipment, numerical models and programming languages. You will setup, conduct and oversee programming concerning a variety of topics that involve signature physics (including radio frequencies). You will implement signature physics models and provide model response feedback regarding model efficacy, critical environmental parameters to improve model performance, etc. You will maintain customer relationships, develop proposals for work new and additional work, and publish findings in reports, peer review publications, and scientific presentations.
Occasional travel - Occasional business travel required, up to 25%
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Conditions Of Employment
- Requires pre-employment and random drug testing
- Must obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance
- Financial Disclosure (Form OGE-450) required at the DB-04 level
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
This position is covered by the Science and Technology Laboratory Personnel Management Demonstration Project. The DB-02 pay band includes the General Schedule grades equivalent to GS-05 through GS-11. The DB-04 Pay Band includes General Schedule grades equivalent to GS-12 through GS-14. To qualify for the DB-02 level applicants must meet one or more of the education requirements described below. To qualify for the DB-04 level applicants must possess specialized experience equivalent to the DB-02 level or GS-11 grade level.
In addition to the education requirements listed below, to qualify for the DB-04 applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade/level DB-02 (GS-11). Specialized experience is defined as experience developing complex software that allows the understanding of radio frequency propagation.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Ability to Conduct Signature Physics Modeling Research
- Skill in Conducting Research Studies
- Skill in Communication
- Ability to Provide Advisory Services
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.This announcement MAY be used to fill like vacancies for six months after the closing date.
To qualify, you must meet specific educational requirements which apply to the following positions in the Federal Government. You must possess one or more of the following: (Note: You must attach transcripts to support educational claims.)
Engineering Series 0850/0854:
A. Degree in professional engineering with a curriculum meeting the following requirements: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR
B. Combination of education and experience - See questionnaire for exact examples.
Physics Series 1310:
A. Degree in physics or a related degree that included at least 24 semester hours in physics.
B. Combination of education and experience with education equivalent to a major in physics totaling at least 24 semester hours, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Mathematics Series 1520:
A. Degree in mathematics; or the equivalent of a major that included at least 24 semester hours in mathematics. OR
B. Combination of education and experience courses equivalent to a major in mathematics (including at least 24 semester hours in mathematics), as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify.
For the DB-04 level, you may qualify if you have an appropriate Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree that is directly related to this position.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this vacancy announcement.
- At the DB-02 level this position is non-exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- At the DB-04 level this position is exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Nepotism: Under the provisions of 5 USC 3110, an individual may not be appointed into a position if the position is under the supervisory chain of command of a relative.
- Telework may be authorized.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Superior. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Basically Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc). Please review the following links to see which documents you need to provide to prove your eligibility to apply: Applicant Merit Checklist and Proof of Eligibility.
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
- Your resume may be submitted in any format. Credit will be given for unpaid experience or volunteer work such as community, cultural, social service and professional association activities on the same basis as for paid experience.
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements: You MUST submit a copy of your transcript if you want to substitute your education for experience. If you claim qualifications based on education, and do not submit a transcript, your education will not be used in making a qualification determination and you may be found "not qualified." See: Transcripts and Licenses
Proof of Eligibility to Apply: Your application must include the documents which prove you are eligible to apply for the vacancy. The "Proof of Eligibility" document describes authorities commonly used in merit promotion recruitment and what document(s) are required to prove you meet the requirements of the authority. You must meet the requirements of at least one of the authorities listed in the Who May Apply section above to receive further consideration.
If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents follow the directions located at: Faxing Applications and Documents The Vacancy ID is 1656418. You will need the questionnaire, View Occupational Questionnaire, to complete your faxed application.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program. In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, April 01, 2016 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan. Faxed documents must be completely transmitted by 11:59p.m. Eastern Standard Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
The Department of the Army provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the servicing civilian personnel unit. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Agency contact information
Central Resume Processing Center
Civilian Personnel Advisory Center
ATTN PECH SWR O
Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE or "The Corps") is one of the best in America! In 2015, USACE ranked #128 out of 500 employers on Forbes' "America's Best Employers" list. From this list, the Corps ranked #10 in the government services industry, #6 in the federal government, and #8 in the engineering field. Follow this link for more information about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is an innovative, transformative organization providing engineering solutions to customers worldwide. Working at the Corps as a civilian employee means making a direct contribution to war fighters and their families; supporting overseas contingency operations; developing technology and systems that save the lives of soldiers and civilians; providing disaster relief; and protecting and enhancing the environment and the national economy.
This is a research interdisciplinary position and may be filled by any of the following occupations:
Electrical Engineer (0850)
Computer Engineer (0854)
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a Case-by-Case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/433400800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.