Find Solutions to Agricultural Problems that Affect Americans Every Day, From Field to Table
Who May Apply: All U.S. Citizens AND those eligible for consideration under a noncompetitive hiring authority (i.e., 30% or More Disabled Veteran, VRA, Schedule A, Interchange Agreement, etc.).
A Biological Science Laboratory Technician is the authorized title for all positions at GS-7 and above that involve the performance of work in an operating or research program within a laboratory environment and which require an intensive knowledge of laboratory practices and techniques. This position will require primarily laboratory work as well as greenhouse work. This position involves assisting researchers in conducting studies and experiments in plant molecular biology. A thorough understanding of conducting plant molecular biology and plant biotechnology research, and the ability to use research equipment are necessary to fill this position.
***This will be a term position to last 13 months but not to exceed 4 years.***
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
At the full performance level of the position, incumbents for these positions perform a variety of duties in the following areas:
- Actively participates in one or more phases of plant molecular biology research aimed at understanding the roles of specific proteins in wheat flour quality by performing a variety of complex technical duties, in a laboratory or greenhouse environment, common to the assigned area of work, and contributes ideas towards the planning and sequencing of the technical aspects of the research.
- Adapts, modifies or develops new techniques and/or procedures to satisfy the needs of the research project.
- Performs the full range of techniques and studies using a variety of specialized equipment.
- Maintains, calibrates and modifies complex/specialized equipment and automated systems used for test and evaluation procedures.
- Independently initiates action to resolve or correct technical difficulties and results, or recommends resolution to supervisor.
- Searches for literature pertinent to area of research for new procedures or techniques to use in the laboratory or greenhouse.
- Collects, prepares, evaluates and verifies samples and supporting records.
- Maintains records and locates and compiles data and other information from various sources.
- Keeps detailed records of experimental data.
- Tabulates, statistically analyzes and summarizes data using personal computers and software packages.
- Maintains inventory of chemicals, stock solutions, etc., prepares solutions and reagents for use in the laboratory, field, or greenhouse, and safely disposes of waste material (both chemical and biological).