Applicants must currently be a CDC/ATSDR employee at the GS-07 grade level or above.
Under the COTA program, applications will be accepted from individuals who do not fully meet the basic qualifications requirements for this position, if the applicant has demonstrated the basic skills and competencies necessary for development and successful performance in the position being filled. Under the COTA program, applicants that lack some portion of the qualification requirements will be assigned to a trainee position and placed on an individual training plan to make up for the difference between his/her own qualifications and the qualifications required for the target position. Applicants may only enter COTA positions through lateral reassignment or voluntary change to lower grade (not by promotion). Pay retention is authorized, if applicable.
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: This is a Career Opportunities position with non-competitive promotion potential to Quality Assurance Specialist, GS-1910-12. Although promotion is neither guaranteed nor automatic, successful performance in the trainee position and completion of the training program will enable the trainee to be eligible for promotion to the target position (and each intervening grade level, if applicable).
LENGTH OF TRAINING: Length of training will vary based on the development and ability of the individual to perform assigned duties and tasks at each grade level in the developmental plan as determined by the supervisor.
DEVELOPMENTAL PLAN: A training plan (covering the entire training period) will be designed for the individual selected. The plan will specify the developmental assignments involving on-the-job training as well as formal training courses, if applicable. The training plan will correspond to the particular needs of the individual selected in order to meet the requirements of the target position (and each intervening grade, if applicable).
Conditions of Employment:
1. Additional Security and Background Requirements: May be referred depending on the position being filled. If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
3. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
4. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
5. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
6. Drug Screening Required: No
7. Recruitment or Relocation Bonus may be authorized: No
8. Research position: No
9. Supervisory position: No
10. Promotion potential: Yes. This position has promotion potential to GS-12. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your meeting qualifications and time-in-grade requirements, demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and administrative approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
11. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated and rated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge of established standards and procedures.
2. Skill in investigating, analyzing and developing recommendations based upon observations.
3. Ability to operate a PC, collect and analyze data, and prepare reports.
4. Ability to effectively communicate results of work.