To qualify for this position, you must address the following Mandatory Technical Qualifications. Mandatory Technical Qualifications:
1. Demonstrated expert knowledge of the CFO Act of 1990 and ability to interpret and analyze OMB and Treasury regulations, policies and statutory requirements governing the use of Federal funds, and reporting requirements.
2. Knowledge in federal acquisition and procurement including both policy development and operation of a contracting office.
3. Knowledge in facilities management and operations with specific knowledge of federal leasing procedures through the General Services Administration.
You must have one year of specialized experience at a level close to the work of this job that has given you the particular subject-matter knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform. Typically we would find this experience in work within this field or a field that is closely related. You must demonstrate possession of specialized experience in the described duties. This level of experience must be gained at or above the GS-15 level or its equivalent and demonstrates progressive responsible experience in the leadership/executive and technical areas. Applicants for an initial SES career appointment must clearly demonstrate that they possess the broad executive core qualifications needed to succeed in the SES. A summary of the key characteristics for the Executive Core Qualifications can be found at this link: http://opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: If selected for this position, you will be required to: - Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment. - Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer. - Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be evaluated on the Executive Core Qualifications in addition to the mandatory technical qualifications. When describing your technical qualifications, please give examples and explain how often you used your skills, the complexity of the knowledge you possessed, the level of people you interacted with, the sensitivity of the issues you handled, etc.
Applicants will be evaluated on their resume, Mandatory Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications to determine the best qualified candidates. In order to properly review your qualifications, please ensure that your resume clearly indicates evidence that you qualify for the Senior Executive Service position and that you possess the Mandatory Technical Qualifications.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs): In order to be considered for the position, applicants must submit a narrative addressing each ECQ and as separate statements. The statements should contain at least two examples describing experiences and accomplishments/results in each required qualification. As a guideline, 1-2 pages per ECQ is sufficient. Applicants for an initial SES career appointment must clearly demonstrate that they possess the broad executive core qualifications needed to succeed in the SES. A guide to assist with writing the ECQ narratives can be found at this link: http://opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp
You will be evaluated on the following Executive Core Qualifications:
ECQ 1: LEADING CHANGE.
This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
1. Creativity and Innovation Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches; encourages new ideas and innovations; designs and implements new or cutting edge programs/processes.
2. External Awareness Understands and keeps up-to-date on local, national, and international policies and trends that affect the organization and shapes stakeholder's views; is aware of the organizational impact on the external environment.
3. Flexibility Is open to change and new information; rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
4. Resilience Deals effectively with pressure, remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks.
5. Strategic Thinking Formulates objectives and priorities, and implements plans consistent with the long-term interests of the organization in a global environment. Capitalizes on opportunities and manages risk.
6. Vision Takes a long-term view and builds a shared vision with others; acts as a catalyst for organizational change. Influences others to translate vision into action.
ECQ 2: LEADING PEOPLE. This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide and inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
1. Conflict Management Encourages creative tension and differences of opinions. Anticipates and takes steps to prevent counter-productive confrontations. Manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive manner.
2. Leveraging and Diversity Fosters and inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the organization.
3. Developing Others Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods.
4. Team Building Inspires and fosters team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. Facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
ECQ 3: RESULTS DRIVEN. This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer service expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
1. Accountability Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established control systems and rules.
2. Customer Service Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement.
3. Decisiveness Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, when data is limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
4. Entrepreneurship Positions the organization for future success by identifying new opportunities; builds the organization by developing or improving products or services. Takes calculated risks to accomplish organizational objectives.
5. Problem Solving Identifies and analyzes problems; weights relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
6. Technical Credibility Understands and appropriately applies principles, procedures, requirements, regulations and policies related to specialized expertise.
ECQ 4: BUSINESS ACUMEN. This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
1. Financial Management Understands the organization's financial processes. Prepares, justifies, and administers the program budget. Oversees procurement and contracting to achieve desired results. Monitors expenditures and uses cost-benefit thinking to set priorities.
2. Human Capital Management Builds and manages workforce based on organizational goals, budget considerations, and staffing needs. Ensures that employees are appropriately recruited, selected, appraised, and rewarded; takes action to address performance problems. Manages a multi-sector workforce and a variety of work situations.
3. Technology Management Keeps up-to-date on technological developments. Makes effective use of technology to achieve results. Ensures access to and security of technology systems.
ECQ 5: BUILDING COALITIONS. This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
1. Partnering Develops networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals.
2. Political Savvy Identifies the internal and external politics that impact the work of the organization. Perceives organizational and political reality and acts accordingly. 3. Influencing/Negotiating Persuades others, builds consensus through give and take, gains cooperation from others to obtain information and accomplish goals.
Fundamental Competencies: These competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications.
1. Interpersonal Skills Treats others with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect. Considers and responds appropriately to the needs and feeling of different people in different situations.
2. Oral Communication Makes clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed.
3. Integrity/Honesty Behaves in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Shows consistency in words and actions. Models high standards of ethics.
4. Written Communication Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
5. Continual Learning Assesses and recognizes own strengths and weaknesses; pursues self-development.
6. Public Service Motivation Shows a commitment to serve the public. Ensures that actions meet public needs; aligns organizational objectives and practices with public interests. To preview questions please click here.