Job Title: Clinical PsychologistJob Announcement Number: FZ-13-DDM-786688-MHC
Department: Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency: Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 to
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
2 vacancies in the following location:
Cleveland, OH United States
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 786688 (Please include on all documents)
Our mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
The Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center is a 673-bed tertiary healthcare facility which provides care to over 100,000 veterans in northern Ohio. We provide care through our main medical facility at the Wade Park campus, 13 community based outpatient clinics, and 3 vet centers. The medical center has been recognized for more programs of excellence than any other Veterans Affairs Medical Center. These programs of excellence include: Open Heart Surgery, Care of the Seriously Mentally Ill, Geriatric Evaluation and Management, Substance Abuse Care, Spinal Cord Injury Care, Medical Care of the Homeless, Domiciliary Care of the Homeless, Functional Electrical Stimulation, Advance Platform Technology, Primary Care Education, and Patient-Centered Specialty Care Education. We are a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services to Veterans with state-of-the art technology as well as medical education and research. Our main campus in Cleveland, OH has a full service ER for both general acute care and psychiatric care and a comprehensive reference clinical laboratory. With us, you will find a challenging, yet rewarding career experience.
- You must be a US citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Occupational physical may be required.
- English language proficiency.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center is recruiting for two Clinical Health Psychologists to work in Psychology Service. The Staff Psychologist duties include:
- Providing a full range of psychological assessments and diagnostic services utilizing standardized assessment instruments and structured interviews.
- Generating psychological reports based on assessments.
- Serving as an authoritative source of information in the use and interpretation of tests to make differential diagnoses of patient problems.
- Providing expert consultation to other disciplines or units with regards to assessment and evaluation procedures.
- Providing a full range of patient care psychotherapy interventions, including individual and group therapy, as well as specialized interventions such as behavior management consultations and systems or environmental interventions. When appropriate, uses newly proven or experimental techniques.
- Developing and implementing psychotherapy interventions and the clinical evaluation of outcomes for these interventions.
- Engaging in and documenting psychosocial assessments and treatment plans on new patients assigned.
- Coordinating treatment or care with other services based on patients' clinical needs and making referrals during treatment when clinically indicated.
- Providing individual and group consultation and education to therapists on the team in accordance with the therapeutic mission of the Center.
- Providing specific objectives and appropriate responses toward a patient and clarifying environmental factors that would stimulate patient self-reliance, reduce anxiety, or achieve more socially adaptable behavior patterns.
- Must currently possess a doctoral degree in psychology from a graduate program in psychology accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA). The specialty area of the degree must be consistent with the assignment for which the applicant is to be employed.
- Must have successfully completed a professional psychology internship training program that has been accredited by APA. Exceptions: (1) new VHA psychology internship programs that are in the process of applying for APA accreditation are acceptable in fulfillment of the internship requirement, provided that such programs were sanctioned by the VHA Central Office Program Director for Psychology and the VHA Central Office of Academic Affiliations at the time that the individual was an intern and (2) VHA facilities who offered full one-year pre-doctoral internships prior to PL 96-151 (pre-1979) are considered to be acceptable in fulfillment of the internship requirement.
- Must currently hold a full, current, and unrestricted license to practice psychology at the doctoral level in a State, Territory, Commonwealth of the United States (e.g., Puerto Rico), or the District of Columbia. NOTE: (VHA may waive the requirement for an individual psychologist for a period not to exceed 2 years from the date of employment on the condition that such a psychologist provide care only under the supervision of a psychologist who is licensed. Non-licensed psychologists who otherwise meet the eligibility requirements may be given a temporary appointment as a graduate psychologist. Failure to obtain licensure during the two year period will result in termination of employment.)
- GS-11: None beyond basic requirements.
- GS-12 Specialized Experience: In addition to the basic requirements, at least 1 year of experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service. An example of 1 year of experience at the GS-11 level would be working as a staff psychologist diagnosing mental disorders, conducting psychological and/or neuropsychological assessments, treating mental disorders through a variety of modalities, and providing adjunctive interventions for treatment of medical disorders. Also, the individual will be in the process of obtaining licensure at the independent practice level.
- GS-13 Specialized Experience: You must have one year of experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service, and hold a full, current, and unrestricted license to practice psychology at the doctoral level in a State, Territory, Commonwealth of the United States (e.g., Puerto Rico), or the District of Columbia. An example of 1 year of experience at the GS-12 level would be working as an unlicensed staff psychologist practicing under the supervision of a licensed psychologist, but with less need for consultation than at the GS-11 grade level and may be assigned to any program area.
Applicant's education and length of experience will be considered by a professional standards board in determining grade and salary of the applicant selected.
When describing your experience please include your title, duties performed, and dates of employment. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be reviewed to determine your qualifications. Please be sure your resume and supporting documentation clearly reflect your expertise related to the following competencies:
- Knowledge of, and ability to apply, advanced professional psychological theories and techniques to the full range of patient populations.
- Ability to provide professional advice and consultation in areas related to professional psychology and behavioral health.
- Knowledge of clinical research literature.