Basic Qualifications for AD-1529:
Degree that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics. OR combination of education and experience providing knowledge equivalent to at least 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, including at least 12 hours in mathematics and 6 hours in statistics, plus appropriate experience or additional education. In addition applicants must possess a Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree in statistics or a related field.
Candidates must show clear evidence of specialized experience. Specialized experience is that which is directly related to the position and which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in the design and analysis of complex sample surveys; basic and applied statistical research and technical assistance; dissemination of research via oral presentations and peer-reviewed and other publications; and leadership and/or management experience. Research, applied experience and interest in public health are also desirable.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/.
Must be cleared by CDC security for suitability.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements as outlined above to be eligible for further consideration. You must provide detailed evidence of the experience, knowledge, skill, ability, and other personal characteristic requirements listed below and show how and when they were used. This evidence must include clear, concise examples that show level of accomplishment and degree of responsibility. Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
1. High degree of prominence and expertise in statistics, and a distinguished record of accomplishments, peer-reviewed publications, and presentations in statistical research and applications, such that the individual can readily command the respect of SRSDS, NCHS, and the outside scientific community as well as direct a program of statistical research and technical assistance related to public health.
2. Knowledge of current research and methodology in the areas of survey design, data analysis, and the use of statistical methods to solve important problems, such that SRSDS can serve NCHSs mission to provide statistical information that will guide actions and policies to improve the health of the American people.
3. Experience that demonstrates leadership ability and the ability to form coalitions and partnerships, to be able to lead SRSDS effectively and foster collaborations with the rest of NCHS and the outside scientific community.
4. Experience that demonstrates the ability to direct and manage a program of statistical research and technical assistance, including establishing research directions, strategic plans and policies, developing and presenting budgets, evaluating program accomplishments, and building and maintaining a diverse staff.
5. Experience that indicates the ability to deal effectively with and explain complex statistical issues to high-level government officials, the scientific and academic communities, national or international medical and health-related organizations, diverse community and non-governmental groups, and the public at large.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses may be authorized.
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized.