- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Graduate of a School of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (Unofficial transcripts required).
- Possess and maintain a current, full, active and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a state, territory, or commonwealth of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia.
- English Language Proficiency. RNs appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows: Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization, Professional Development: performance, education/career development, Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality, Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
References: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G6, NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated March 17, 2009 is available for review in the Human Resources Office.
APPLICANTS PLEASE READ: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following Department of Education website. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
NOTE: You can receive credit for education received outside the United States if it is comparable to an accredited educational institution in the United States at the time of application. ** If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. **
APPLICANTS PLEASE READ: Unofficial transcripts are required whenever qualifying based on education. Education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. A transcript or course listing must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education. Transcripts will not be returned to the applicant.
VETERANS PREFERENCE: Applicants claiming veteran's preference must clearly show eligibility to such preference on supplemental data submitted before the close of this announcement. When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should submit claim preference by submitting legible copy (copies) of ALL MEMBER 4, DD-214's showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.). More than one DD-214 may be needed/submitted to show all dates of military service. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference and a current copy of their VA Civil Service Preference Letter. For preference to be granted, your supplemental information must clearly show your eligibility to preference. This is done by submitting the required veterans documents listed within the "REQUIRED DOCUMENTS" area of this announcement. If this information is not provided, you will not receive the preference to which you may be entitled. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit the Veterans' Preference website.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment. Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please read and follow all instructions carefully. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we may not allow credit for your response(s).
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS will not be considered for applicants who fail to submit a complete application package. We cannot be held responsible for incompatible software, fax transmissions errors, or any other delays. You will not be contacted for missing, incomplete or clarification of information relating to your application materials.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: (Failure to comply may be grounds for withdrawal of an offer of employment or dismissal after appointment)
- Applicants tentatively selected for certain designated positions may be subject to a random drug screening for illegal drug use. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment.
- Applicant is subject to a pre-employment physical examination.
- New Appointees will be subject to a background investigation to determine suitability.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must certify at the time of appointment that they have registered with the Selective Service system or are exempt for having to do so under Selective Service law.
- Applicants must not be listed on the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office of Inspector General Sanctions database.
- Applicants selected for positions through this announcement may be subject to a two year probationary period.